Friday, September 26, 2008

For the Love of Books

Mia came home from school today and EXCLAIMED "I checked out a book from our library today! We have the best library ever. I can't wait to use it. It's my favorite place in our school." (It was her first visit.)

How cool is that?

On my own nightstand, the kids and I recently started The Diamond of Darkhold, the fourth book in The City of Ember series, which we all LOVE. Highly recommend the prequels The City of Ember and The People of Sparks for middle-level readers.

I also have a Billy Collins poetry book that I pick up every now and then for some quick enlightenment.

Then there's good old Lee Iacocca's Where Have All the Leaders Gone? (recommended by my old mentor and friend Jim Lutzke). This is hoot of a book, really. Mr. Iacocca completely skewers W, everyone in his service, all his misplaced policies, and especially the war. Funny coming from a rich, white, former oil guy.

A few facts worth sharing: If we took all the trillions we've spent on that war and invested them into our own country, we could...

Hire 8 million teachers or 8 million police, fire, and EMT workers.
Give free health care to everyone for a year.
Provide 25 million college scholarships.
Give Americans free gas for a year.
Build 3 million affordable housing units.

Unbelievable.

I'm about halfway through, and the book basically advocates most things that I already believe in, so it's not a life-changing read for me. But it's entertaining, candid, mindboggling at times, and easy to read. Recommended.

(268 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment