Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Advice for the Young

I didn't really have a clear idea of what I wanted to write about today. I was feeling contracted at the end of the day yesterday -- a difficult day at work, and someone said something to me that I really took issue with. Tom suggested I just blog about how grouchy I was feeling. (Thank you to Tom for noticing that I was grouchy and for offering a solution. In another solid effort to redirect me, he also suggested we play tennis or walk the dogs today.)

Blogging seemed like a real downer for any readers though. So I tried oatmeal, yoga, dusting, and getting organized with work instead to help myself recover. Aren't these things the answer to everything? God how I wish Coke and brownies were the real answer to pulling yourself out of a funk.

Then I remembered some advice someone once gave me when my brain was working overtime processing some negativity. "What advice would you give you daughter -- because it probably isn't the same advice that you’re giving yourself?" As it turns, the advice for Mia was clearer, simpler, and damn good, if I may say so.

So today, I'm going to practice that I'm a fickle, moody, funny, prepubescent, loving 10 year old, and I'm going to give me some advice for dealing with the world. Wonder if I'll actually follow up on it?

(232 words)


No comments:

Post a Comment